HISTORIC GARVEYITE DISTRICT OF BUFFALO
(UNDER CONSTRUCTION - BEST VIEWED ON DESKTOP)
HISTORIC GARVEYITE DISTRICT OF BUFFALO AT A GLANCE
It is the goal of this work to preserve lost and hidden Black history in Buffalo NY. This society focuses on honoring major figures in history and people who made major contributions to history, yet have gone unnoticed.
The Historic Garveyite District Preservation Initiative highlights 6 of over 30 locations pertaining to Hon. Marcus Garvey and the contributions of Buffalo UNIA-ACL Division #79.
GARVEYITE DISTRICT HISTORIC PRESERVATION INITIATIVE
Historic Garveyite District of Buffalo is in the business of identifying historical locations around Western New York that were relevant to Marcus Mosiah Garvey and the UNIA-ACL. Efforts will include plaques, statues, memorial services, local and national historical registers.
333 CLINTON ST
"Garvey Triumphs Here", was the headline after what were called three of "the greatest meetings ever held in our city" by the press. In October of 1920, Garvey addressed hundreds of Buffalonians at the request of UNIA Local Div. #79.
President General Garvey gave two speeches on Oct 17th at Technical School, and a third speech on the 18th.
268 SPRING ST
Rosa Montgomery's Salon
Mrs. Montgomery was in administrative roles in the Empire Sports Association and the National Hairdresser's Association as well as a member of Martha Washington Republican Club, she was among the first Black Committeewomen
185 WALNUT ST.
Black Cross Nurse Irene Freeland's home
Meeting place of the Buffalo Black Cross Nurses. The BCN, uniformed in all white faithfully served Black Buffalo
264 GENESEE ST.
With around 500 members, there were 16 members in the African Motor Corps, at least 30 Black Cross Nurses and around 100 Universal African Legionnaires under the command of Capt. Howard B. Phillips.
Parades would have included colorful uniforms, the African Motor Corps, Black Cross Nurses, Universal African Legion, Junior Division and the UNIA Band.
Citizens Cooperative Society and Buffalo Economic Society Grocery and Credit Union
CCS and BCES supported many local black businesses, and have inspired many more. “Never before has so much interest been manifest in a business concern launched by our people.” Dr. Ezekiel Nelson
485 MICHIGAN ST
Division #79 leased the building for use as UNIA Hall in 1923.
A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.
President General Hon. Marcus Garvey
POLITICAL REPORT CARD
Brought to you by a joint effort in Buffalo’s Black community. A group of activists, politicians and religious leaders coming together to hold accountable those who aspire to work in and around our communities.